Thursday 1 July 2010

My "Invictus"

There's a famous poem called 'Invictus' by a guy called William Ernest Henley... except he didn't give it the title himself, some other guy did when he put it in an anthology... but anyway!

INVICTUS
by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.



Lot's of good, stirring stuff there... but I think my version of it would go something like this:

INVICTUS
by William Ernest Henley (and little me!)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank the God who lives in me
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Lies one of Joy that will not fade,
And so the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
For Christ has made me clean and whole,
He is the Master of my fate:
He is the Captain of my soul.



I know with absolute certainty that it is Jesus and only Jesus who makes my soul unconquerable. I know just where I would be without Him, and it ain't pretty. :S I'm thinking Romans 8 here...

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerers through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height,nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom. 8:37-39; emphasis mine).

It is Jesus who gives me the strength to take the crap that life is throwing at me right now. And so far, I have not 'winced or cried aloud' - at least in public! :D

It is the joy of the future with Jesus that gives me the strength to deal with the 'wrath and tears' right now. Well, maybe not wrath at the moment - so that's something good right away! :D

I'm thinking Philippians 3:13b-14: "...but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus." Also Romans 8:18: "I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." And how about Rev. 21:4? "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying will be no more, for the first things have passed away."

Those who put their faith in Jesus can have absolute assurance that all this stuff will be theirs - not because of us, but because of HIM. And I know that my life and ultimate fate are in His hands, and are therefore perfectly safe.

A couple of bits of songs come to mind here:

"No guilt in life, no fear in death:
This is the power of Christ in me!
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny!
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I stand."


(From 'In Christ Alone' by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty.)

And also... well, pretty much all of 'I Will Set My Face' by Godfrey Birtill, but especially the bit that goes:

"Creator, Defender,
My Maker, Instructor, Commander,
My Warrior, My Shelter,
My Helper, My Leader,
My Jesus, My Saviour,
My wonderful God!"


Blimey, I've gone on a bit! :D Hope this turns out to be useful to somebody some time... :)
.

2 comments: